A Commander based podcast where we discuss the serious, the aggressive, and the awesome points of Magic: the Gathering!



Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Episode 18: Captain Green Zone

Off Color Cast is a Commander based podcast where we discuss the serious, the aggressive, and the awesome points of Magic: the Gathering. Some language may be found offensive so make sure your taste and paste makers are properly adjusted before listening. Off Color Cast will not pay your doctor bills.






00:00:00 – 00:03:37          Intro – Who we are, what we do, and how we do it.
00:03:38 – 00:15:11          Calvin’s Stupid Card Thing- This week, Calvin is feeling the urge, the Treacherous Urge. Take a listen to C-Cubed, as we discuss one of the only ways to steal in Black in this game we play and the only thing (at the time) that steals creatures from the HAND!
00:15:12 – 00:34:42          Chris’s Audacity –On Chris’s Audacity we take a look at Gold bordered cards. No, not the one’s with the gold on the front. We’re talking about Collector Edition cards, the cards that have square corners.  We discuss price range, a couple formats outside of EDH, chicks with boobs on the back, and the idea of getting a few new copies so older cards.
00:34:43 – 00:52:25          Into the Green Zone – We continue to think of all our sins and this week Cassidy is going to try help us redeem ourselves with his Seven Deadly Sins of EDH. This week we talk about the sin the Captain Green Zone fall prey to, Forgetfulness. Wait... what? Ahh! I can’t remember what we discussed here. I think it had something to do with Ninjas vs Goblins… or… something…
00:52:26 – 01:27:33          Almost Got A Set – This week in our final segment, we talk about the M13 Legends, minus the white one because it wasn’t spoiled yet. But that doesn’t stop us from going off on Talrand, Nefarox, Krenko, and Yeva. Tokens, Flash, and Demons? Sounds fun.
01:27:34 – 01:32:01          Outro- We’re out of here. Remember if you want to get in contact with us you can find us…
On Twitter                          Christian- @ChristianRenoe 
 Calvin-@CaptainRedZone
Cassidy- @WriterofWrong  
On The Web       Christian- www.offcolorcast.comoffcolorcast@gmail.com
Cassidy- www.youcanthandlethenath.comwww.tcgplayer.com (in the Magic section)

11 comments:

  1. Nice episode, I liked the "Planar Chaos" feel. I've only been listening to Off Color for a few episodes (thanks to your appearances on That Other Commander Podcast), but if I recall correctly you guys are getting my first comment on either cast!

    I agree Krenko is one of the best M13 legendaries (boo Nefarox), but I must point out something you guys missed - this guy loves Thornbite Staff. Just sayin'.

    Now, if I may, I'd like to pose two questions. Firstly, what is the name of that "I come out of the water" (?) song - for some reason it's stuck in my head. Secondly, here's my own little stupid card thing: Cosi's Trickster, yay or nay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys, huge fan of the show. Just wanted to let you know that I do the same thing with my Gwafa Hazid deck but probably border on obsessive. It's this crappy deck where everything revolves around money, trading, bribery, commerce, etc. Then when I "bribe" people, I bust out these: http://www.amazon.com/Lot-100-Shiny-Pirate-Doubloons/dp/B001CIPSZ6

    The deck is terrible because it runs cards like Merchant Ship and Icatian Moneychanger. But it's an absolute blast to play. Keep up the good work; ps love the intros for all the segments. Awesome stuff (especially this time where they were all backwards lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha delicious doubloons, I wholeheartedly approve of this and is less hood than handing out pennies

      Delete
    2. I don't hand out pennies!! I use them and I ALWAYS TAKE THEM BACK!! >:O

      Delete
    3. I don't know if you guys have seen this.... http://inkwelllooter.blogspot.com/2011/01/casual-friday.html

      Inkwell Looter made little sacks of gold to use as bribery counters. They apparently make a satisfying jingle noise when you set them down.

      Delete
    4. Ha, yeah I saw this a little while after when it came out. XD This where I got the idea to use pennies for bribe counters. A friend at my old B&M gave me a coin that had a eye on it like the one on the back of a dollar. I have know idea where he got it, but its awesome and I keep it in the bag of pennies.

      Delete
  3. BTW Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo is your wall general. Only legendary with defender. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys, just finished listening to this episode. I wanted to thank you for changing my mind about the M13 legendaries. I had been pretty down on them since they had been spoiled - I felt that they were all super boring and linear. I worried that they each had one build that would become "THE Talrand Deck" for example. I tend to like more subtle generals that use more obscure, unique, or heavily thematic cards to make optimal, like Patron of the Orochi, Vela, or Uril. After the angels in AVR and these guys in M13, I was starting to feel that maybe wizards really didn't understand Commander. But after listening to you guys talk about the M13 legends as supporters in other decks, I changed my mind and am now excited to open them at the prerelease.

    I still think that Ib is the better general in the goblin deck - being able to play him at any time makes it so you can act quickly when there is a board state you can take advantage of, where as Krenko needs more setup time.

    Anyway, I wonder what you guys think about the new cards wizards is printing that many people feel are "commander plants." Specifically the angels, griselbrand, the M13 legends, worldfire, omniscience, etc. All these seem to me like wizards thinks EDH is about playing big, expensive, splashy, game ending bombs. It feels like they are dragging it more towards a "battlecruiser magic" feel. Personally, I liked all the new legendaries in the Commander product and thought that wizards was supporting the format in the right way, but since then I haven't been as sure...

    So, keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir James,

      I think I may make us talk about this in a show soon because I have strong (well as strong as I ever have about this sort of thing) feelings regarding this thing. I side in on the camp of "please do not consider edh at all when making cards" camp because I prefer happy accidents to get added to decks as opposed to them printing cards that they think we want to play (and admittedly I think a lot of the new influx of people to the format really do like these sort of cards.) I see a lot of discussion around the interbutts where there are people that want Wizards to consider edh whenever they print a card, which would mean sometimes adjusting the power level or straight up not printing a card if it would ruin edh. Currently I am of the opinion that if they ever didn't print a card because of EDH that it would be awful, I feel like that would ruin a lot of the grassroots playgroup polices itself feel of the game.

      Anyhoo we are def gonna talk about it and I assume the other cboys may have a different idear about this sort of thing.

      Man I typed a ton of words but you do it better haha.

      Chris

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I know what you mean about the happy accidents. Most my favorite cards for EDH are from WAAAAYYYY before it was popular, and many from before it was invented. Oath of lieges, tombstone stairwell, sunforger, planar chaos dragons for example. Part of the fun is finding homes for mediocre corner case cards like reito lantern or obsidian battle axe where they really shine.

      If I remember correctly, Zendikar block was really the first time wizards consciously designed cards with EDH in mind. Not-coincidentally I think, there are more cards from this post-ZEN era that I wish weren't around than ones that I'm super glad to have. Wrexial, Nim Deathmantle, Expedition map, Grimgrin, Birthing pod, Innestrad block lands with activated abilities (alchemist's refuge etc) - all these are sweet, but we also got angels, eldrazi, titans, praetors, avenger of zendikar, super strong planeswalkers. Blech.

      Fortunately, my playgroups thus far have all been somewhat financially challenged, so not everyone was running Prime Time, Avenger, and T&N. Most the unfortunate cards only showed up one at a time just because the only way people had these were if one of us had opened them in a pack.

      Delete